You’ve probably heard of BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport®, but you may not know about the newest member of the dynamic wrinkle-fighting team – XEOMIN®. Now offered for men and women at Herron Dermatology & Laser, XEOMIN is a botulinium toxin type A product that works similarly to BOTOX Cosmetic and Dysport but can create longer-lasting results.
XEOMIN®, A BOTOX Alternative
XEOMIN has only recently been approved for cosmetic use in the United States, but it been providing positive results in the UK since 2008. XEOMIN has been purified and simplified to maximize its results. Because it is free of additives that can sometimes inhibit the effectiveness of BOTOX Cosmetic, it has earned the nickname “Naked BOTOX.”
XEOMIN works very much like BOTOX to target muscles that cause wrinkles through frequent muscle contractions. Temporarily slowing down or “paralyzing” these muscles can reduce the appearance of wrinkles, which usually become less visible with repeat treatments. Because XEOMIN is free of proteins that can limit the effectiveness of the toxin, XEOMIN can potentially last longer between treatments than BOTOX.
Call Herron Dermatology & Laser today @ 334-277-3332 to schedule a personalized consultation.
Areas & Benefits of Xeomin® Treatments
Glabella Lines – Smooth vertical lines.
Crow’s Feet/Laugh Lines – Reduce lines from the outer corner of the eye.
Bunny Lines – Smooth horizontal lines on the nose.
Frown Lines – Relax lines caused by frowning.
Eyebrow Lift – Relax muscles that pull the brow line down.
Top Lip Lines – Smooth lines on the upper lip.
Marionette Lines – Change your smile from downward to upward.
Chin Crease – Reduce the appearance of chin crease.
Neck Lines – Remove the banding in the neck both vertical and horizontal.
Pre & Post Treatment Instructions
Before Xeomin Treatment
- Avoid aspirin for 10 days, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and Vitamin E for 5 days prior to the procedure, because these medications will make you more likely to bruise. If you have been prescribed one of these medications, ask your doctor before you stop taking it. Tylenol will not cause bruising and is preferred for the week prior to treatment.
- Alcohol is also a blood thinner and should be avoided for 2 days prior to the procedure to minimize bruising.
After Xeomin Treatment
- Do not lie down or bend over for 4 hours after Xeomin treatment.
- Refrain from vigorous exercise for the rest of the day (walking is O.K.).
- Utilize the muscles injected every 5 minutes for 60 to 90 minutes to enhance Xeomin absorption and action. Do this by squinting, frowning, and/or lifting the eyebrows (depending on the area treated).
- Do not massage or manipulate the treated area on the day or evening of treatment. You may wash your face normally.
- If you experience a headache, you may take Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil/Motrin (ibuprofen) immediately after the procedure. Wait until the next day to take aspirin to minimize bruising.
What Are The Risks?
Transient bruising at injection sites can occur, particularly if you have had aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) within 1 week, or alcohol within 48 hours of treatment. Occasional brief tenderness or headache may result for a few hours, and rarely longer. Mild, temporary eyelid or eyebrow drooping can last 2-3 weeks or longer and may occur in about 1 percent of patients.
Extremely rare side effects include temporary double vision, reduced blinking resulting in corneal injury, allergy and development of antibodies which may decrease the duration of results for future Xeomin treatments.
You may not be treated with Xeomin if:
- You are pregnant or nursing.
- You are allergic to benzyl alcohol.
- You have neuromuscular disease (such as myasthenia gravis).
- You are taking aminoglycoside medications (Streptomycin, Neomycin, Gentamycin)